This is something that is dear to me as I used to eat a lot of this growing up with my relatives. Traditionally in Chinese desserts, it is mostly eaten warm but since my South East Asia trip a few years ago I started loving to eat this chilled!
In South East Asia, they often use Coconut milk. However, in this recipe I used a plant-milk Not Milk which is made with cabbage and peas. The milk is entirely plant based tastes and cooks like milk. The ingredient was sponsored by the brand, however but opinions, recipe and thoughts are all my own. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil
- Once boiling add ⅓ cup of sago tapioca pearls
- Simmer on low heat until they turn translucent – stir frequently. Takes about 15-20 mins.
- Drain out the pearls onto a fine mesh, pour cold water to keep them from sticking together.
- Measure out 1 ¾ cups of plant based milk to a pan
- Add the cooked tapioca, ¼ plant based sugar and a ⅛ tsp of salt
- Stir the mixture
- Bring this to a boil to dissolve the sweetener
- Turn off heat
- Pour into container with a lid and chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours
- Once you are ready to serve, layer chilled sago into jars and add the toppings that you desire! I added grapefruit and frozen cherries.