5teffy’s Top 5 Cafes in NYC:
- Dr. Smood – a certified USDA organic and kosher cafe which I rate a 5 star! It’s my top choice for a quick and nutrient dense food thats super healthy in on the go. Since doors opened in NYC I have been a huge fan and tried pretty much everything on the menu ! All the superfood ingredients and pairings are well thought out by Dr. Etti, Ph.D in Holistic Nutrition. Everything is almost vegan and almost all gluten free with the exception of the DrSmood Performance Bread used for their sandwiches and is easier to digest than regular breads. There are various locations around NYC. From downtown to midtown they got you covered even in the music dept. I love chilling here and taking a break from the hustle and enjoying a quick meal along side cool beats.
- Citizens of Chelsea – A perfect spot for a casual brunch with friends or out of town guests if you plan to take them to the Highline Park after. The interior is open and airy, since I’m a color person, I love the decor and use of the accent teal color throughout their interior. They have recently opened another location in Manhattan on the east side. My favorite is the Beetroot Hummus Toast which is gluten free and vegan. Not only does it have a pretty color for bold pink IG photos, it’s a very satisfying dish that is not only perfect for Instagram but hits the spot.
- Bareburger – They have many locations in the city, but so far my favorite one is the midtown east location in Murray Hill because it’s brighter and more airy. I always build my own burger (the turkey with a gluten free bun) I recently also tried the Beyond Burger which is gluten free which tastes really good but didn’t keep me full as long compared to the turkey burger. They have options for everyone from mushroom to beef to lamb they have all sorts of burgers for everyone. Best part, everything is organic!
- Jack’s Wife Freda – A healthy spot that often has a long line up ! Especially their Soho location so rather than waiting I have tried other places near by (plenty of other options in the nearby) or if I’m meeting a friend and we are craving Jack’s Wife, we often like their West Village location. I like to order their bowls with Quinoa and veggies – it’s a very colorful yet satisfying dishes and never disappoints! I like to top it with an egg for added protein.
- Bluestone Lane – One of my favorite spots in the city for matcha, colorful beet root or turmeric lattes if I’m not making them at home. Some of their locations are not full locations so check before you head to the location. I frequent the West Village spot since they have outside seating and a cozy interior which is great for meeting up with friends. My favorite is the gluten free banana bread which is pure indulgence and is a nice treat.
Chopt Salad invited us to attend a Surf Set NYC class to celebrate their launch of their Destination Salads with a theme on California. It was my first time trying Surf Set fitness class. Surf Set Fitness class is a workout class on a stationary surf board that can move from side to side. The class is a full body workout. The routine takes you thru various movements as if you are paddling out to the water, getting up on the board and gaining your balance. It was a fun, sweaty introduction to what a full class would be like.
Thank you for having us Surf Set NYC and Chopt Salad. I enjoyed the class, it was fun and challenging I will definitely be back for a class!
I travelled to San Francisco for a wedding and did a lot of eating and sightseeing and hiking! When I found out about Outdoor Yoga SF and the fact they host beach yoga, I was thrilled. Immediately I signed up and was not disappointed. Class was led over headphones and a DJ. The sequence is called out on the headphones so you listen to the DJ spin in one ear and the practice being led in the other ear. I have never done a silent yoga class before but loved it.
There is something about doing yoga in front of the beach with the waves brushing against the sand and the sun setting. This by far was one of the best yoga experiences I have ever had in my life. If you visit San Francisco, you should check this class out. This was such a magical class.
Before class, I was enjoying the breeze and leaning up against my favorite Sweaty Betty tote! It felt so nice laying under the sun and on the sand.
I met up with Blaire who blogs about healthy food and lifestyle in SF. It’s so amazing how I can connect with others via Instagram!
I also met up with Alice a San Francisco blogger whom we have a lot in common as well such as living with foods that we avoid such as gluten!
There was a part in the class when we were told to just start dancing like no one is watching, it felt so liberating to just dance bare foot with hundreds of others on the sand. The sun set, the waves started to come in stronger and at one point the waves came in strong and our mats got wet. Class ended off with a nice cool down and we watched the entire sunset over the beach.
Photos: 5teffy photos + Reny Preussker shot for Outdoor Yoga SF