Bed Time Rituals
Getting ready for bed every night is one of my favorite things to do. I look forward to my nightly bed- time rituals. These are some of the things I like to do that helps prepares my body and mindset for winding down from the busyness from the day. In turn makes me have a better rest at night. A good night’s sleep rejuvenates me for the morning. Sticking with the same nightly bedtime routine makes it physically easier for the body to secrete hormones that induce the sleep and help relieve insomnia. Here are some ideas to help transition the body into sleep:
Plan for at least 30-60 minutes before your goal bedtime for winding down from the day
I start by getting into the mood.
GET INTO IT
** Wash Up, remove all make up from the day and bathe
** Change into your pajamas and comfy lounge clothing
** Make your bed and sleeping area special
** Fluff the pillow up
** Spritz the bedding and pillow with lavender essential oil mist spray
END OF DAY WIND DOWN:
** Start drinking tea after dinner for calming and for digestion
** Plan a list of 3 top goals of things to achieve the next day
** Light yoga or stretching, breathing techniques
** Reading, meditation or prayers
* Turn off and get them out of sight
** Don’t use computer or electronic device before going to sleep
** I like to charge my electronic devices and get them out of sight. Living in New York City I find my apartment has limited space so I like to turn my phone off and put it on airplane mode. I have even tried unplugging the Internet all together.
THINGS TO SET THE MOOD:
** Low lighting, light candles
** Soft sounds music
** Turn the AC up or heat down. I find that the temperature should be just right for my best sleep
THINGS THAT CAN THROW OFF YOUR BEDTIME RITUAL:
* Drinking too much water, eating vitamins with water before bedtime, caffeine before Bed-Time. It is best for the body to sleep straight thru the night. If you drink too much water or fluids before Bed-Time, you will have to wake up in the middle of the night
* Eating too late or eating too much before bed. I try not to eat anything at least 4 hours before sleeping.
* I try not to watch movies or TV right before bed. I like to give my eyes full rest.
* We live in such a technology driven world. Many of us check our phones multiple times a day. Also there are some apps I use more than others. I like how the new iPhone operating system tells me how much activity I have been spending on each app. I find that using the cell phone or computer right before bed affects my sleep. So, I try to avoid this to have a better more peaceful and deep sleep.
Let me know what some of your bedtime rituals are! I would love to know 🙂