Bed Time Rituals
Getting ready for bed every night is one of my favorite things. I look forward to my nightly bedtime rituals. These are some of the things I like to do that helps prepares my body and mindset for winding down from the busyness of the day. In turn, it makes me have a better rest at night. A good night’s sleep rejuvenates me for the morning. Sticking with the same nightly bedtime routine makes it physically easier for the body to secrete hormones that induce sleep and help relieve insomnia. Here are some ideas to help transition the body into sleep:
Plan for at least 30-60 minutes before your goal bedtime to wind down from the day
I start by getting into the mood.
GET INTO IT
** Wash Up, remove all makeup from the day, and bathe
** Change into your pajamas and comfy lounge clothing
** Make your bed and the sleeping area special
** Fluff the pillow up
** Spritz the bedding and pillow with lavender essential oil mist spray
* Turn off and get them out of sight
** Don’t use a computer or electronic device before going to sleep
** I like to charge my electronic devices and get them out of sight. Living in New York City, I find my apartment has limited space, so I want to turn my phone off and put it on airplane mode. I have even tried unplugging the Internet altogether.
THINGS TO SET THE MOOD:
** Low lighting, light candles
** Soft sounds music
** Turn the AC up or heat down. I find that the temperature should be just right for my best sleep.
THINGS THAT CAN THROW OFF YOUR BEDTIME RITUAL:
* Drinking too much water, eating vitamins with water before bedtime, caffeine before Bed-Time. The body should sleep straight thru the night. If you drink too much water or fluids before Bed-Time, you will have to wake up in the middle of the night
* Eating too late or overeating before bed. I try not to eat anything at least 4 hours before sleeping.
* I try not to watch movies or TV right before bed. I like to give my eyes complete rest.
* We live in such a technology-driven world. Many of us check our phones multiple times a day. Also, there are some apps I use more than others. I like how the new iPhone operating system tells me how much activity I have spent on each app. I find that using the cell phone or computer right before bed affects my sleep. So, I try to avoid this to have a better, more peaceful, deep sleep.
Let me know what some of your bedtime rituals are! I would love to know 🙂